Agenda for Preliminary Meeting Exact procedures may vary, depending on the issues and parties involved, but a preliminary meeting will generally involve the following items:
- Initial contact with the parties.
- Educating the parties about the process and establishing the ground rules for mediation.
- Begin to set the tone for effective mediation.
- Identifying the time, venue and attendees.
- Identifying the information needs of the parties and the mediator.
- Obtaining mediation briefs from each party.
- Establishing credibility of the process and the mediator.